AR-media™ Plugin for Trimble SketchUp™
DescriptionWith AR-media™ Plugin, Trimble SketchUp™ users are allowed to visualize their 3D models using Augmented Reality directly in the real physical space which surrounds them. In a very precise sense, through AR-media™ Plugin, SketchUp™ 3D models can be visualized out of the digital workspace directly on users' desktop, by connecting a simple webcam and by printing a suitable code.
By means of the Exporting feature, users can create and publish augmented reality files autonomously. Files created by this feature can be visualized on any computer with the freely available AR-media™ Player, without the need of having Trimble SketchUp™ and the Plugin installed. Users can now create their own SketchUp™ Augmented Reality models and distribute them to their clients as independent, stand-alone files and let their clients experience such models in Augmented Reality in a click.
The AR-media™ Plugin provides users with an advanced visualization functionality which serves two main purposes:
- Study and analyze scaled virtual prototypes in real environments
- Communicate 3D projects immersively and astonishingly
Latest version of the AR-media™ Plugin comes with a lot of new features that make it suitable for the creation of high quality Augmented Reality content. Besides increasing creative possibilities, the new features enhance designer's control over Augmented Reality workflow and visualization.
Export for mobile devices
Major features available in the latest version:
- Exporter for Android devicesNEW you can now create .armedia files which can be displayed using AR-media™ Player for Android. Notes
- Video objects support for iOS and Android devices: AR-media video objects can be displayed in iOS Player and Android Player. See the notes for more details.
- Geo-located models for iOS and Android devices: you can now use iOS Player and Android Player to display virtual models in the real world without any marker.
- Exporter for iOS devices: you can now create .armedia files which can be displayed using AR-media™ Player for iOS. Notes
- Chroma key videos: you can play videos created with the chroma key technique (both green and blue screen is supported) as textures on your 3D objects.
- Linked Markers: it is now possible to display a single model on two or more markers, granting the possibility to display the same object with different viewpoints.
- Layers' Management: 3D objects can be placed on different layers, which can be displayed independently during the AR visualization.
- Timed Slideshow: you can organize your 3D contents to act as a set of slides. In fact, each layer can be displayed for a chosen time interval and then replaced with the following layer.
- Shadows: you can now configure the sunlight in SketchUp™ to cast shadows on 3D objects, in order to obtain a more realistic visualization. Moreover, you can interact with this light source in real-time, moving it and modifying the shadows' visualization.
- Clipping/Sectioning: thanks to the Clipping planes' management features, it is possible to create sections of 3D objects in real-time.
|Markers Library (number of markers)||With AR-media™ Plugin you can create Augmented Reality scenes based on a pre-set library of markers. You are free to associate any 3D model to any predefined marker available.|
|Multiple markers||With AR-media™ Plugin you can create multiple markers scenes, thus associating different 3d models in a scene to different markers selected out of the available list of targets|
|Linked markers||With AR-media™ Plugin you can group different markers together, thus forming a Linked Marker. A Linked Marker is a special kind of marker that groups together two or more targets and it is used to associate the same 3D objects to different markers at the same time. Each single target in a Linked Marker has a specific position in the 3D scene, which will be used to correctly display the same 3D object during the AR visualization. Once a link between markers has been established and each marker has been placed in the 3D scene, you are supposed to move those markers all together during the AR visualization; otherwise, 3D objects will not be correctly shown.|
|Exporter for ARPlayer||With AR-media™ Plugin you can create independent Augmented Reality files with extension .armedia and let other users enjoy them using the free AR-media™ Player (both Standard and for iOS devices). You are free to distribute this content at no charge for most uses in compliance with the License Agreement.|
|Marker Generator||With AR-media™ Plugin you can create your own markers. Creating your own markers you will be able to provide users with highly personalized Augmented Reality content|
|Video/Audio Objects||AR-media™ Plugin allows you to embed media files inside peculiar 3D objects. You can easily create objects with video textures or audio and control its playback during the Augmented Reality experience|
|Soundtracks||Create more involving scenes by setting up audio tracks that will play in background during the Augmented Reality experience|
|"Occluders" Objects||With AR-media™ Plugin you will be able to create complex Augmented Reality scenes that include occluder objects. In other standard Augmented Reality tools when a 3D model passes behind another object in the real world, it will always be displayed superimposed to that same object, even though this object should be hiding it in the observer’s view. By creating “Occluders” objects in AR-media™ Plugin you will be able to create invisible virtual objects (the so called occluders) to mirror the structure of your real-world scene in order to deal with real world occluders and thus use some real objects to hide virtual content in the observer view|
|Customizable Interactions||Every 3D object has a set of default events and related actions that defines how it interacts with other objects during the Augmented Reality experience. Advanced users can also customize the way interactions are carried on and, thus, create really complex Augmented Reality applications.|
|Light debug Mode||Light is an important factor in Augmented Reality applications as it affects strongly the performance and stability of the AR visualization specifically for what concerns the tracking of the markers. With AR-media™ Plugin you have better control on the tracking algorithms, thus being able to adjust important parameters as a function of the real lighting conditions of your real world scene. Moreover you are able to adjust tracking parameters with useful visual feedback. This is what we call the "Lighting Debug" Mode.|
|Layers' Management||3D objects attached to a marker can now be placed in different layers and you can easily manage them during the AR visualization.|
|Timed Slideshow Mode||You can now organize the AR visualization to behave just like a slideshow: each layer will be visible for a chosen time interval and at the end it will be hidden and the next layer will be shown.|
You can now put a light in your scene which will allow objects attached to selected markers to cast and receive shadows.
Currently, only one light can cast shadows during the AR visualization. Other lights will only affect the illumination of the objects.
|Clipping/Sectioning||During the Augmented Reality visualization, you can enable the Clipping mode which permits you to view sections and clipping planes of the selected 3D objects|
|Antialiasing||The Antialiasing function allows users to minimize some visual artifacts of the 3D content in the Augmented Reality view|
|Real-time Rendering||During the Augmented Reality visualization AR-media™ Plugin performs real-time rendering in a way that is compatible with the standard rendering engine. Please consult the User Guide for more information.|
|HD Support||AR-media™ Plugin supports a wide range of HD webcams and cameras. A suitable frame grabber could be required.|
|Tracking Technology||Even though AR-media™ platform is not limited to a given tracking technology, AR-media™ Plugin is based on a marker tracking technique.|
|Head Mounted Displays Support||A variety of Head Mounted Displays is supported by AR-media™ Plugin. AR-media™ Plugin supports, but is not limited to, eMagin Z800 3D Visor, I-O Display Systems i-Glasses, VR ProAR.|
Currently some limitations apply when exporting models for the iOS player:
- the exported model will be displayed on the chosen marker (linked or multiple markers are not supported yet)
- audio objects (as well as soundtracks) are not exported yet
- video objects will be visualized but with some limitations: video playback will automatically start and loop when finished. Moreover, chroma key videos will be displayed as normal video textures
- custom interactions will be ignored by the iOS player
- advanced features like real-time shadows, layers and sectioning are not supported by the iOS player
- the Android player does not support audio playback
Please note that the iOS player is under continuous development and these limitations will be progressively removed.
- Register here to activate a license for the FREE version of the AR-media™ Plugin.
- Already registered? Access the control panel to manage your account and licenses.
TutorialsLearn how to use AR-media™ Plugin features by following the proposed tutorials:
Our forum contains a dedicated area in which you can discuss, submit and suggest new guides and tutorials.